Everyone likes to think that they have the best chiropractor. Unless you’ve been to a number of chiropractors, it can be difficult to know if you have the best chiropractor. I’ve had many patients come to me after going to their chiro for years, and come to the realization that the care that they have been getting has been sub-par. I’ve compiled a list of what I believe makes a good well rounded chiropractor. This list is also dependent on what you are actually looking for and need, which can be different for everyone and their situation.
- How much time do you actually spend with your doctor of chiropractic? The quick crack, high volume practice makes it difficult for any quality time between you and the doctor. If you have a chiropractor that gives you plenty of time to address your questions and gives ample table time, you’ve met my first high quality chiropractor criteria.
- Is your chiropractor well versed in the latest techniques? This can be difficult to know, unless you’ve done your research on the variety of techniques available. Most people that come to me have no clue about the best practices of the trade. A little bit of online research can help determine if your chiropractor is up to date. Just to name a few of the techniques of today; Active Release Technique (ART), Graston Technique or Instrument assisted soft tissue technique, Dry Needling, Functional Movement screen, Muscle Activation Technique, FAKTR, Selective Functional Movement Screen, Acupuncture, Kinesio Taping, and Webster Technqiue. There are also many certifications that a chiropractor can receive, such as; DABCO Diplomate of the Amercian Board of Chiropractic Orthopedists, DACNB Diplomate of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition, DABCI Diplomate of the American Board of Chiropractic Internists, DACBSP Diplomate American Chiropractic Board Sports Physicians. There are many more certifications and courses, but the main question is if your chiropractor is keeping up with their education.
- Does your chiropractor have a good reputation online? What is everyone saying online about your chiropractor? Some review sites are better than others. One of my favorite sites is Yelp and Facebook as I believe they do a slightly better job at keeping fraudulent reviews from being published. As you can tell, a search for denver chiropractor online reviews, will give you lots of information. You must be a good critical thinker when it comes to sifting through reviews. It is not out of the question to be reading fake online reviews. There are actual businesses that sole function is to create phony online reviews for other companies. When looking at online reviews, it helpful to not just look at the amount of reviews, but also to look at the quality of the reviews. You can usually tell if a review is a fake if there are no actual details. Does the review discuss the actual methods employed by the doctor? Does the review give details about the doctor and clinic? Are there details about the intake process, or about how long they were treated? Fake reviews are usually vague and give little to no details.
- Is your condition improving with the care you are receiving? I’m amazed at how some patients come to me that have been going to another chiropractor 2 to 3 times per week for over a year and are still not better. You’ve heard the definition of insanity, right? Well, move on or ask about options for your care.
- Does your chiropractor perform x-rays on everyone that walks through the door? Some spinal related conditions need an x-ray and are medically necessary, but if your chiropractor x-rays everyone, regardless of your condition, it is a warning sign. Some chiropractors unfortunately think that everyone needs corrective chiropractic care. This type of care is expensive, time consuming, and for the majority of people, is not needed.
In summary, chiropractors come in as many flavors as there are chiropractors. Utilizing this short list may help you find a chiropractor that can help you address your condition. Chiropractors also treat a variety of conditions, and some chiropractic specialists are much more well suited to treat your condition.
Author: Trent Artichoker MS, DC, ART
Denver Chiropractic, LLC
3890 Federal Blvd Unit 1
Denver, CO 80211