Effects of Flexion-Distraction
1. The posterior disc space increases in height
2. Flexion decreases disc protrusion and reduces stenosis.
3. Flexion stretches the ligamentum flavum to reduce stenosis
4. Flexion opens the vertebral canal by 2 mm or 3.5 to 6mm.
5. Flexion increases metabolite transport into the disc.
6. Flexion opens the apopyhyseal joints and reduces posterior disc stress
7. Intradiscal pressure drops under distraction.
Intervertebral Disc Pathologies
Research has shown that there is no difference between surgical and conservative treatment after 2 years with acute disc herniations. The intensity of pain and severity of disability will help determine which path you choose for disc herniation relief. Flexion-Distraction is a unique form of therapy that offers flexion in combination with axial distraction. This form of therapy is an excellent choice for the person suffering from disc pathologies.